Tuesday 22 September 2015

Angela Walters 'Athena' quilt

Angela Walter's 'Athena' quilt
Angela Walter's 'Athena' quilt
A customer has recently sent me a photo of a quilt I custom quilted for her a few months ago.  Like many of the quilts that pass through my door it has a story attached.  This quilt was a gift for a good friend who had personally chosen the fabric, but not particularly colours or designs that my customer was used to working with.  I think she did a great job. 

Angela Walter's 'Athena' quilt
Angela Walter's 'Athena' quilt
The fabrics were quite modern and graphic.  For the quilting, I tried to keep with that theme.  Feathers and flowers were not the order of the day.  Instead I stitched around each of the blocks and the cornerstones and used my longarm quilting rulers to add further parallel lines in the sashing.  In each of the blocks and along the border I used a digital design.  The combination of stitch in the ditch and block designs worked with the structure of the quilt pattern, whilst giving the quilt a light quilting all over, ideal for daily use on a bed.  My customer reported back that they were delighted with the quilt and looking at the photo what a great match with their bedroom walls!
Angela Walter's 'Athena' quilt
Angela Walter's 'Athena' quilt
The majority of the fabrics come from the range 'Athena' designed by the American quilter, Angela Walters.  This was of particular interest to me as Angela was over in the UK this summer and I was going to be attending one of her quilting workshops, which incidentally was brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment